How to Unlock iPhone 3GS by Installing iPad Baseband 6.15.00 Using Sn0wbreeze (Not Redsn0w)
Firstly, you are reading this because you know that baseband 5.14.02, 5.15.04, 5.16.02 and 5.16.05 can’t be unlocked. Your only possible option is to update it to iPad baseband 6.15.00.
Typically, you would use redsn0w to install iPad baseband on your iPhone. There are risks associated with the iPad baseband so be sure to read this first.
UPDATE #2: Forget about installing iPad baseband or hacking your iPhone, make it officially unlocked here.
UPDATE #1: Read this important information if you have the iPhone 3GS 8GB.
About two weeks ago, I published a tutorial on how to unlock your iPhone 3GS on iOS 5 baseband 5.16.05. This tutorial though will give you the same result but the steps have been reduced and eliminate any simple error. Do not use this guide if you have a baseband that can be unlocked with ultrasn0w e.g. 5.13.04 or below.
With the release of sn0wbreeze 2.8b10, it makes the whole process easier to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 3GS.
The custom firmware that you’re about to download below was created using sn0wbreeze and the iPad baseband is already included in the package. Ultrasn0w and MobileSubstrate (software to unlock iPhone) have been included as well.
Warning: Proceed at your own risks!
1. Download the latest iTunes 10.5 from Apple’s website and install it. Remove your SIM card.
2. Download custom iOS 5.0 (already hacktivated, jailbroken):
- iPhone 3GS with new bootrom + baseband 6.15.00 included + ultrasn0w installed
- iPhone 3GS with old bootrom + baseband 6.15.00 included + ultrasn0w installed
4. Launch iBooty and follow on-screen instructions on how to pwn-DFU your iPhone. If you use redsn0w, go to Extras -> Pwned-DFU and follow on-screen instructions.
5. Once you have pwned DFU your iPhone, launch iTunes. Click Shift+Restore and point it to the firmware you just downloaded in Step 2.
6. iTunes will begin restoring so just wait until the process is finished. If you get error 3194 during restore, read here.
7. When restore is complete, you will find that you now have iOS 5.0 and baseband 6.15.00.
8. Disable 3G and Cell Data by going to Settings -> General ->Network. Insert your SIM card and your iPhone should connect to your network.
Post unlocking – iMessage not working? Read this.
On a final note, if you have a new bootrom, the jailbreak is currently tethered so you will need to use redsn0w -> Extras -> Just Boot to boot up your iPhone.
Share This Article
Sign up Free Email NewsletterStay Updates with this Blog. Get Free email newsletter updates, Enter your Email here:
Don't forget to confirm your email subcription