How to Update iPhone 3GS with iPad Baseband 06.15.00 to iOS 5.1.1
Do you have an unlocked iPhone 3GS with baseband 6.15.00 but not sure how to update to the latest iOS 5.1.1. Use this step-by-step guide.
UPDATE: If you have an AT&T iPhone 3GS, unlock it permanently using this.
If you attempt to restore directly on iTunes you will get an iTunes error and your iPhone will end up in recovery mode. The only way is to update it using custom firmware and this tutorial will show you on how to build custom firmware using sn0wbreeze (Windows only).
Before we begin, be sure to backup your iPhone.
What you need:
- iPhone 3GS with iPad baseband 06.15.00, this would also work on original iPhone 3GS baseband 05.11.07, 05.12.01 or 05.13.04.
- Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5
- Ultrasn0w Fixer for iOS 5.1.1
188.8.131.52.7 is now available!
The first part involves building and installing custom iOS 5.1.1 firmware. ‘Hacktivation’ is required if you don’t have the official SIM card. The second part of this tutorial explains the steps to unlock your iPhone using ultrasn0w and ultrasn0w fixer.
Part One: Building and Installing Custom iOS 5.1.1 Firmware for 3GS
1. Download original iOS 5.1.1 firmware (IPSW) for iPhone 3GS. This file is huge so it make take a while.
2. Download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 from ih8sn0w.com.
3. Launch sn0wbreeze.
4. Click browse and point to the original iOS 5.1.1 that you just downloaded.
5. Sn0wbreeze will identify the IPSW file. Click Next.
6. Choose Simple Mode (recommended) – this will preserve your baseband, it will also jailbreak and hacktivate. You can explore other modes at your convenience.
7. When it asks you whether you want to hacktivate or not. Select “Yes”. Sn0wbreeze will begin cooking the firmware.
Once the custom iOS 5.1.1 is made you will find it on your desktop.
Before restoring your iPhone, it must be put iPhone into pwned DFU mode with iREB. iREB will appear as soon as custom firmware is built.
When your iPhone is already in pwned DFU mode (black screen), launch iTunes, press shift on your keyboard and click restore. Select the custom firmware that was just created. To be sure, the file name always begin with sn0wbreeze_iPhone_xxxxxxx.
Part Two: Unlock iPhne 3GS with ultrasn0w
1.2.5 1.2.7 There’s no official ultrasn0w for iOS 5.1.1 yet, so we’ll need to install ultrasn0w fixer iOS 5.1.1 before installing ultrasn0w 1.2.5.
1. Launch Cydia and add the following source by going to Manage > Sources > Edit > Add:
2. Search for ultrasn0w fixer for iOS 5.1.1 and install it.
3. Finally, look for ultrasn0w (1.2.7) and install it.
4. Reboot your device.
If you find this post useful, please do us a small favor by clicking ‘LIKE’ or ‘Recommend on Google+’ below.
Share This Article
Sign up Free Email NewsletterStay Updates with this Blog. Get Free email newsletter updates, Enter your Email here:
Don't forget to confirm your email subcription