Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 using Sn0wbreeze Custom Firmware and iPad Baseband 6.15.00
Firstly, you are reading this because you accidentally updated your 3GS to 5.0.1 or it’s already on iOS 5.0.1 when you got it. The only possible option to unlock it is to update to iPad baseband 6.15.00.
Read these important notes first:
1. This tutorial may no longer be valid once Apple releases iOS 5.1. However, some steps may be used to jailbreak and unlock iOS 5.1, subject to availability of software/tools.
2. If you have the new iPhone 3GS 8GB, read this extremely important information. Otherwise, you may break your iPhone’s hardware.
3. There are risks associated with the iPad baseband (6.15.00) so be sure to read this first. iPad baseband will disable your GPS!
4. Read each step carefully.
5. Proceed only at your own risks.
With the release of sn0wbreeze 2.8b11, it makes the whole process relatively easier to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 3GS.
The custom firmware that you’re about to download below was created using sn0wbreeze and the iPad baseband is already included in the package.
Warning: Proceed at your own risks!
1. Download the latest iTunes 10.5 from Apple’s website and install it. Remove your SIM card.
2. Download custom iOS 5.0.1 (already hacktivated, jailbroken):
- iPhone 3GS with new bootrom + baseband 6.15.00 included
- iPhone 3GS with old bootrom + baseband 6.15.00 included
* not sure if you have an old or new bootrom? Google!
4. Launch iBooty and follow on-screen instructions on how to pwn-DFU your iPhone. If you use redsn0w, go to Extras -> Pwned-DFU and follow on-screen instructions.
5. Once you have pwned DFU your iPhone, launch iTunes 10.5. Click Shift+Restore (Windows) or Option+Restore (Mac) and point it to the custom firmware you just downloaded in Step 2.
6. iTunes will begin restoring so just wait until the process is finished. If you get error 3194 during restore, read here.
7. When restore is complete, you will find that you now have iOS 5.0.1 and baseband 6.15.00.
UPDATE #1: You can now install ultrasn0w 1.2.5 by following the instructions here. Steps 8-16 below can be ignored.
UPDATE #2: You can now untether jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 with Corona or redsn0w. Read the steps here.
8. Download CommCenterClassic (ultrasn0w patch) here.
9. Launch Cydia from your Springboard (Home screen) and add the following to your source and install iFile.
11. Launch i-FunBox or DiskAid and browse to:
raw file system/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/
12. Rename CommCentreClassic file to CommCentreClassicOld and replace it with the new CommCenterClassic file you downloaded in Step 8.
13. Launch iFile on your iPhone and browse to:
14. Click the Blue arrow next to the file name, go to Access Permissions and set the following permissions:
- User: Read, Write, Execute
- Group: Read, Execute
- Global: Read, Execute
15. Launch Cydia and install ultrasn0w. Reboot iPhone.
16. Disable 3G and Cell Data by going to Settings -> General ->Network. Insert your SIM card and your iPhone should connect to your network.
Post unlocking – iMessage not working? Read this.
On a final note, if you have a new bootrom, the jailbreak is currently tethered so you will need to use redsn0w -> Extras -> Just Boot to boot up your iPhone. Old bootrom will give you untethered jailbreak.
Any issues? Leave your comments below but please make sure that you didn’t miss any step above!
Did it work? Buy me a beer! Never required but always appreciated!
Share This Article
Sign up Free Email NewsletterStay Updates with this Blog. Get Free email newsletter updates, Enter your Email here:
Don't forget to confirm your email subcription