Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.1 Baseband 5.16.05
Updated your iPhone 3GS to iOS 5.1 with baseband 5.16.05 and need to unlock it? Read on as this may be the solution you need.
First of all, please be aware that untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 is not yet available and baseband 5.16.05 can’t be unlocked. Baseband or modem firmware version 5.16.05 stayed the same since iOS 5.0 was released back in October 2011.
If you really need to unlock your iPhone 3GS it’s still possible to do it by updating the baseband to 6.15.00. Take note of the following:
- This is an iPad baseband which can break your GPS.
- More risks here.
- If you have the new iPhone 3GS 8GB made after week 28 of 2011, you must read this or you will permanently break your iPhone.
- If you don’t fancy 6.15.00 then these guys can replace baseband chip.
Did you read and understand all the risks? OK, let’s proceed.
Surprisingly, Apple is still signing iOS 4.1. This means you can still downgrade to an earlier iOS version (iOS usually can’t be downgraded if it’s not being signed by Apple). The reason why you need to downgrade to iOS 4.1 first is so that you can update your baseband to 6.15.00. Note: Baseband can never be downgraded!
[Final warning: Proceed at your own risks!]
1. Backup your contacts, photos, apps etc. Remove your SIM card. (Note: If you made a backup on the latest iOS, you won’t be able to restore it if you’re running on an earlier iOS version.)
2. Download iOS 4.1 firmware for iPhone 3GS.
4. Download latest version of TinyUmbrella from here.
6. Put your iPhone into DFU mode. See YouTube video here.
7. Launch iTunes, connect your iPhone, hold down the SHIFT for Windows or Option for Mac while you click the RESTORE button in iTunes and select the iOS 4.1 firmware file you have just downloaded. If you get an iTunes error 3194, read here on how to fix it.
8. The restore will end with error 1015 and recovery loop on the iPhone, this can be resolved using the “Exit Recovery” button in TinyUmbrella.
9. Start redsn0w 0.9.6rc18.
10. Browse for the iOS 4.1 firmware you just downloaded.
11. Select ‘Install Cydia’ and ‘Install iPad Baseband’. Warning: installing iPad baseband will break your GPS.
12. Follow on screen instructions to put your device into DFU mode to begin the jailbreak.
13. When the process is done, you will find that your iPhone is now jailbroken on iOS 4.1 with iPad baseband 6.15.00. To make sure you can always go back to iOS 4.1, launch Cydia and select ‘Make my life easier.’
If you’re happy with iOS 4.1 and would like to unlock it, skip to step 19 now.
Step 14 to 18 is only possible if you have your SHSH saved. What is SHSH?
Let’s restore it to iOS 5.0.1 to get untethered jailbreak and then unlock it with ultrasn0w 1.2.5.
15. Download the latest redsn0w from the Dev Team’s website or from here. Start redsn0w, go to Extras > Pwned DFU. This allows your iPhone to accept custom firmware.
16. Reinstall iTunes 10.5.
17. Connect your iPhone to your computer and hold shift+restore (Windows) or option+restore (Mac) and select the custom iOS 5.0.1 IPSW you just downloaded. If you get an iTunes error 3194, read here on how to fix it.
18. Once the restore is done, your iPhone will now have iOS 5.0.1 with baseband 6.15.00. If you are stuck on Apple logo with an empty loading bar, run redsn0w again but this time click on Extras then Just Boot.
19. Launch Cydia from Springboard (home menu).
20. Search for ultrasn0w on Packages in Cydia. If you cannot find it, add new sources by typing ultrasn0w repo:
repo666.ultrasn0w.com (with zero, not o).
21. Install Ultrasnow 1.2.5.
22. Reboot your iPhone. Just in case it’s stuck on Apple logo, run redsn0w again, go to Extras > Just Boot. Follow on screen instructions.
23. Turn off 3G and insert your SIM card. It should pick up your carrier signal.
Not too difficult right? If you follow the exact instructions this will work 99%.
Good luck and leave your comments or questions below.
Did it work? Buy me a beer! Never required but always appreciated!
Share This Article
Sign up Free Email NewsletterStay Updates with this Blog. Get Free email newsletter updates, Enter your Email here:
Don't forget to confirm your email subcription